Thursday, January 14, 2010

Martyr Mom

Work has been very difficult lately. There’s an incredible amount of pressure to get as many cases as I can this rotation; with the holidays, I’m already missing half my surgical time, and due to freak accidents and the weather I’m missing even more. I spend all my time doing secretarial and social work, only to find out today that all eight cases for tomorrow are cancelled due to the building flooding. From a clogged toilet.

And I simply can’t work the way I used to. E does not reliably sleep through the night so I’m chronically tired. I’m always trying to get to work as late as possible so I can feed her in the mornings, so I miss lectures and resident meetings. I rush back to try to feed her before bedtime and can’t finish things I need to do. I interrupt my work day two to three times to pump, and stay up late at night to try to pump enough.

To be honest, D and I are barely surviving here. Even with my sister giving up two weeks of vacation to be our live-in nanny. Being a two-resident family with a baby is just—well, not how residency is meant to be, and not how parenting is meant to be.

Even though I know in my head E is more important than work, every day I go through the emotional process of letting work go. I feel down, insecure, pressured; one reference or conversation at work is enough to throw me all off again. A lifetime of perfectionism and caring what people think is hard to shrug off, particularly in a driven academic culture. It’s incredibly difficult to let go of being able to work the way I could, to not care how other people see me.

I always pictured myself a martyr mom. Have four kids or more, give up a stellar career and mega earning potential, raise a huge and happy family. I had no idea what it is like; how much tension there is. My work is demanding; E is not. My work is impressive, public; she is not. My work is over twelve years in the investing; she barely over a year. And every day, I have to let go again, and again. Through the guilt, tension, insecurity, fatigue. If God is trying to teach me something, he sure is doing it the hard way.

No comments:

Post a Comment