Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Domestic Support: Creating A Home Atmosphere

One emotional need we studied last week in our marriage class was Domestic Support: the need, often felt more by men, for home to be a safe and stress-free place to return to at the end of the day. The author writes, “A man’s fantasy goes something like this: His home life is free of stress and worry. After work each day, his wife greets him lovingly at the door and their well-behaved children are also glad to see him. He enters the comfort of a well-maintained home as his wife urges him to relax before having dinner, the aroma of which he can already smell wafting from the kitchen. Conversation at dinner is enjoyable and free of conflict. Later the family goes out together for an evening stroll, and he returns to put the children to bed with no hassle or fuss. Then he and his wife relax and talk together, watch a little television, and, at a reasonable hour, go to bed to make love.”

Both of us cracked up reading that. A typical night beings with me texting “Eric is having his second tantrum. Do you have an ETA?” He comes home and I’m arbitrating a dispute between the older two. The kids are all half-fed or being fed at different times; our dinner consists of random bites of their leftovers. He takes Elijah off my hands and heads upstairs to change. We try to persuade and bribe the kids into a walk; when we finally do, Eric’s feet can’t stuff into his frog boots in the onesie pajamas he refuses to change out of, and Ellie doesn’t want to wear a jacket. We do some educational activities, and enter the bedtime routine, which looks something like this. By the time that is over, and Elijah is nursed to sleep for the night, we finish essential chores in the brief time we have before “a reasonable hour” has passed.

At first I got a bit upset about this whole domestic support thing—I work too some days, sometimes as long as he does, yet he’s supposed to come home and enjoy this fantasy while I juggle three kids and barely get time to change out of my work clothes or eat a bite for dinner? I’m supposed to do the house chores, and childcare chores, and work, so he can feel good about having his need met?

But then I talked with Dave more and realized I had thrown myself into things with a typical too-perfectionistic task-oriented mindset—he does have this need, but for him it is really about the home having a certain atmosphere, and my having a certain mindset. It is about the home being a place of peace, and stability. It is about me having a general, managerial awareness of how chores are going, and expressing appreciation for the many chores he does. It is about me communicating through my actions and attitudes that I enjoy the kids, and the home. He doesn’t mind chipping in a lot. And we talked about a few practical things we could work on, the main one being meal planning, for healthy, tasty, balanced food (anyone interested in my posting recipes?).

And that is where I want to be anyway. I want to be someone who can take interruptions and tantrums and turn them into gospel moments. I want to be someone who can say hey, we don’t have it all together and it’s a bit chaotic now, but it’s all okay. I want to be someone who can laugh and make us all laugh. I want to be someone who can plan for the structure and resources we need to eat healthy, move a lot, learn a lot, and create a lot. I want our home to be a peaceful place for Dave, and our kids’ friends, and anyone else who wants to visit. Ultimately, this only happens when I am doing well; when I’ve had time for myself, time with God, and put time and priority into creating this kind of home, not just a home that gets by. I think there have been some good changes just in the past week—we’ll see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment