Sunday, March 9, 2014

Kids and Handheld Devices

This article, promoting the banning of handheld devices for children under the age of twelve (the AAP recommends below the age of two), instigated some conversation between Dave and I. Interestingly, our kids get remarkably little exposure to technology of any sort, to the degree that we get questions and comments about it, but it almost is that way unintentionally. Eric gets disinterested in television programs after a few minutes. Ellie still refuses to watch most movies with a villain or a remotely scary scene (refuses to watch Cinderella because of the stepmother, for example). They know they are not allowed to have our phones, simply because they put it on auto-lock and accidentally dial people. When I first got an iPad I showed them a sketch app, which had some appeal, but they immediately fought over it and I decided real pen and paper were better and since then they just know it’s my computer that isn’t touched.

But electronic devices are in the hands of kids everywhere. When I take Ellie to her ballet class, virtually every boy waiting there is playing with some video game, phone, or tablet (all of the adults are too). It’s just an easy way to parent, I suppose. We do show the kids shows and movies during tiring days or when I need to get something important done (they are mostly into David Attenborough documentaries; we’re working our way through Life of Mammals). I do let them look at pictures I take of them on my phone, and occasionally let Ellie take pictures. That all said, I think it’s good to be purposeful about our kids and technology. I like the idea of them going without for as long as possible while they are young—the kids love going to the library, reading books, drawing and coloring, doing crafts, and they will occupy themselves doing that even out in public. I usually bring Eric some books, stickers, or portable crafts and he does just fine during her ballet lessons. I like the idea that they don’t see me staring at my phone all the time, or ignoring them while staring at my phone. As they get older, I don’t know—where and how do you draw the line, especially as they become aware of their peers having devices? I like the idea of not allowing them to take devices with them into their rooms at night or at all. But then again, I like a lot of ideas that may not be practical, so we’ll have to see how it plays out. For now, I’m glad the issue hasn’t been much of a struggle, and I should remember not to groan inwardly when Ellie asks me to read another book…

No comments:

Post a Comment