Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Parenting My Kids, Not Myself

I think one of the hardest things about parenting is learning to parent each child the way they need, not the way you would need if you were them. I’m sure parents of kids older than ours would have a lot more to say about this, but Ellie and Eric are old enough now that I’m noticing differences in what they need.

I find Eric’s way of thinking and feeling easier to understand, because he’s probably more like me. When he wants something, he is single-minded and strong-willed about it, but he’s willing to change his mind if presented with a reasonable option and given space to make the choice. He enjoys words of affirmation, but his sense of self isn’t terribly affected by things I say, good or bad. He enjoys being around people he loves, but feels drained and increasingly tired when around bigger groups.

Ellie is a little different. She easily changes her mind about what she wants depending on her emotions or relationships. Words are very important to her: she lights up when I say something affirming, and is devastated if I imply anything negative. She is an extrovert: the longer she is around other people, the more energized and worked up she gets.

I’ve been relearning, for example, that I need to be careful what I say to Ellie, not because I don’t know that words are important, but because they are more important to her than they are to me. She feels hurt even when I may not feel I’m speaking harshly. I throw out words in anger that affect her for a long time. I need to repeatedly say things I may take for granted, for example, that I love her even if she misbehaves.

She’s young enough that sometimes she just tells me what she needs: “mommy, am I being good too like Eric? Am I beautiful today? I feel like you were too harsh. Do you love me too?” But sometimes I don’t know what’s going on with her. I find her overly emotional or histrionic. I don’t understand why she’s acting out and can’t tell me. I forget that she needs to get out and be around other people more than I would want to. She’s so verbal and insightful typically that I sometimes even forget to remember she’s just four. I have to remember not to judge her as I would myself.

Parenting is hard because it’s so easy to have blind spots, but so hard to accept criticism, or even just to find people who know you and your kids well enough to offer specific advice. It’s so hard to treat all your children fairly, yet differently in the ways they need. Sometimes I feel like it’s just stepping through one moment or stage at a time, trying to be open to advice, asking God to wipe out the consequences of your mistakes, asking God to help you forgive yourself for those mistakes, and praying like heck that God would give you the insight you need, the power to do what goes against your own tendencies, and the faith that your kids are in his hands in the end.

6 comments:

  1. Have you ever done the Myers-Briggs personality test? It sounds like you and your son are IxTJ and your daughter is ExFJ. It is good that you are aware that you should parent them differently according to their personalities. I wish my parents (ISFJ and ESFJ) knew that b/c as an INTJ, my thinking is completely different from theirs and I never understand why their decisions are so 'feeling' based as opposed to 'thinking or logic' based. If I ever have kids, I would make sure to study their personalities thoroughly so I can have better relationships with them. I think you're on the right track.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, did a study once on Myers-Briggs that was very interesting- turns out I'd thought myself an ISTJ most of my life when really I'm an ISFP.. but I think I act like an ISTJ frequently due to pursuing a very TJ-type career, and maybe family influence as our family culture was more TJ growing up. It's interesting to analyze personality types for couples and families too, since I think you develop one for your family as a whole. Not sure about the kids yet-- and part of me wants to keep an open mind lest I speak or act something into existence-- but it is interesting to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent point - how families as a whole develop a type - I had never thought about that before, and once you mentioned it, my INTJ mind exploded and everything makes so much sense now. I read somewhere that taking the test as your 12 yr old self yields the most accurate result, due to learned behaviors and expectations later on. But I actually think that a child is pretty much born with a certain personality type, like how you've always been an ISFP but was raised/nudged to be an ISTJ and only uncovered your real identity as an adult.

    I believe my family as a whole was a half ISTJ/half ISFJ hybrid. In hindsight, I can see why my siblings and I all have difficult relationships with our parents. My ESFP sister fell into a depression in her late teens and has been on meds most of her adult life and still has a lot of resentment towards my mom. My INFJ sister used to have terrible fights with my mother that resulted in tears (it's much better now, but it's b/c my sister has changed how she deals with my dominant mom). My ESTP brother went through a rebellious stage and hung out with the wrong crowd most of his adolescent yrs and now as an adult, my parents have given up telling him what to do b/c he ignores it anyway. As for myself, I left home at 17 for college and never returned. I couldn't stand my parent's house rules or the way they lived. All this makes my parents sound like horrible people, but they are actually kind, generous and loving. Just very opinionated and stuck in their ways and conservative. So growing up in an ISTJ/ISFJ family caused me to make major life decisions that tried to please my parents, and ultimately made me very unhappy. I only discovered that I am an INTJ last yr. (in my mid-30s) and with everything I've learned since, I am convinced I've been an INTJ since childhood. And it's too late to undo all the major decisions I've made (eg. reconsider choosing an ESTJ for a husband! I need an 'N', darn it! And choosing a career that deals with people every day! ugh.) I wish I did the M-B test as a teenager and that my parents didn't try to force all of us into their mold. I think my life would be very different.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So as a follow-up question, if a family as a whole is destined to have one predominant personality type, which type would you want/create your family to be?

    ReplyDelete
  5. So I went back to refresh myself on what all the letters mean, and ended up writing a new post...

    I think knowing about personality types does help you understand why things may have been how they were, though there are a lot of other things too that drive our behavior and the culture of a family, like values (we did a value exercise once that's very interesting), life experiences, our ability to change, listen to others, grow, etc.

    It's interesting to think- would knowing my personality type earlier have made me change any decisions I've made? Well, maybe its because I'm an ISFP, pretty much your opposite, but interestingly that question never really occurred to me. Maybe because I decide based on how I feel anyway, not really thinking through what makes most logical sense for my type. It would be interesting to see whether people who get married tend to have some, all, or none of the letters in common.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thoroughly enjoyed your M-B post! It's quickly become one of my fav topics but when I mention it to most people, their eyes glaze over, haha. I think it's b/c an INTJ female is the rarest type of all (only 0.5% of population) and I've never met another INTJ, so when I discovered all the online INTJ forums and posters, I thought 'finally! people who understand me!' Growing up and in real life, I always felt misunderstood. Check out the prevalence of each type by gender:
    http://www.mypersonality.info/personality-types/population-gender/

    Also, are many theories about love types. I think Keirsey's findings make the most sense. My ideal matches include ENFP, ENTP, ENTJ and INFJ. Notice they all have 'N'. It's funny that you think our culture would place ESTJ's at the top. I would prob agree, since my parents think my ESTJ husband is da bomb. However, as an 'N', I find his 'SJ' to be too rigid, never thinking outside the box, placing high value on authoritative figures even when they stupid, always stating the obvious, no creativity or witty banter at all. He is your 'model citizen' and most people would prob say I'm lucky to have him.

    But deep inside, I know we're not on the same wavelength (it sounds arrogant, but I am much more intelligent than him). The only person in the world who understands me is my INFJ sister. So I am convinced I should have chosen someone with an 'N'. And since the population is 75%S to 25%N, the odds are against me. However, knowing that he is ESTJ has helped not to be annoyed at him all the time and even accept him more (or just throw my hands up in surrender!)

    Love satisfaction rate amongst types:
    http://www.mypersonality.info/personality-types/population-gender/
    You might find this interesting:
    http://www.16personalities.com/isfp-relationships-dating

    ReplyDelete