Monday, December 28, 2009

Journal Excerpt

I took this picture of E today, while she was lying in her crib staring up at the animal mobile rotating above. She has this look of total wonder and amazement on her face. I find the whole thing rather amusing, because it was probably about the hundredth time she’s seen the same five animals, and because they are actually quite ugly. Garishly bright colors, old and used, and one day I turned them up and discovered their faces are painted with clownishly artificial smiles. Yikes!

I’m getting a sense now that E’s tastes and mine definitely do not align. She does not care for tasteful pastels or artistic realism. She is visually addicted to anything with stripes. And the brighter, the better. Her total delight in the things she loves to see is a joy to behold. When she sees a Tiffany lamp, she laughs out loud to herself for minutes on end. My mom made her a poster covered with wrapping paper scraps and she cannot tear her eyes from it. It’s like visual heroin.

But I love this about her. I love that I’m seeing the world a little differently through her wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment