Saturday, February 13, 2010

Journal Excerpt

For a while now she has been emitting keening high-pitched sounds, much like a whale in distress. She goes around keening much more than she tries to talk in syllables. I’ve been wondering where she picked that up from, as I don’t think I’ve ever made such a sound in my life. Her buddy in daycare maybe? (the closest baby in age to her is a light-haired smiley boy, who I think has a secret crush on her. He likes to gurgle at her while she looks back suspiciously. I caught them holding hands once lying next to each other on the playmat.)

Then I clued in. She always makes this sound when she sees one of the cats. Today when Chloe meowed, she keened, then Chloe meowed back, then she keened back. Great. She’s talking with the cats, and I guess she thinks I might speak it as well. When someone asks me what her first language is, that’s what I’ll say. Cat.

No comments:

Post a Comment