Saturday, August 20, 2016

On Books: Or How I Ditched My Kindle And Went Back To Paper

“Maybe you can tell I gravitate toward fiction rather than the newest Christian titles? I was formed (since second grade) by C. S. Lewis, who taught that it's story rising to the level of myth that puts us in touch with our deepest longings. I can see Jesus everywhere, hiding in plain sight: The Lone Ranger (who fights for justice while always being taken for a criminal), Superman (a deliberate Christ figure if ever there was one), Hiccup in How to Train Your Dragon (who wins through weakness), The Iron Giant (who wins through self-sacrifice), Balto (who was despised and rejected but is the savior), Miles Vorkosigan in the Vorkosigan Saga (whose disability enables him to triumph), Tavi in the Codex Alera series (who, well, that would be a spoiler), Gandalf, Frodo, and Aragorn (prophet, priest, and king), and so on.” – Kathy Keller

I am an armchair escapist. A story addict. I don’t know if I just like good writing, or have an overactive and empathetic imagination, but I live in stories and live for stories. It’s been that way ever since I pulled all-nighters in middle school reading Pride and Prejudice and then Jane Eyre and then Count of Monte Cristo. If I’m not reading a good book, it feels like something is missing from my life, and in a sense, good fiction has ruined my appetite for most other forms of entertainment.

Sometimes there’s a bad side to good things, and the problem I got into early on was reading the junk food equivalent of the book world. Stuff that is more sensation than edification, that drags you down, makes you less content with the real world rather than more invigorated for it. Mostly for me this meant novels with too-explicit sexual tension, ranging from romance to thriller to fantasy genres. It’s like getting a hit: it feels great, mostly for the first fifty pages, when you get into characters and plotlines that exist purely for fantasy-fulfillment; then it sort of tanks as the ridiculousness of the plot and shallowness of the characters become obvious. Then you search for the next hit.

Eventually, in my search for some kind of novel, I’d go for whatever was easiest to lay my hands on, which meant borrowing free e-books from the library onto my kindle, which meant mostly junk-reading. Cheap, easy, probably popular stuff, and sometimes stuff I would be too embarrassed to be seen holding the book cover of, but that was the great thing about the kindle: you could be reading Dostoevsky or Nora Roberts and no one can tell the difference.

All my life, I’ve had the niggling feeling that I needed to rehaul my book diet, and through a series of events, I finally grabbed the conviction to do so. For me, it meant giving away my kindle and returning to the accountability of paper: putting books on hold at the library, and carefully investing in pieces for my library.

And it means renavigating the book world, which I’ve always found confusing. I’ve never met anyone with the exactly same book tastes as I have: Annie Proulx, Juliet Marillier, Annie Dillard, Lee Child, Tolkien, Anne Lamott, C. S. Lewis, Robin McKinley… Sort of a motley mix of reliables, with the occasional nice surprise (The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, The Night Circus). Contemporary novels but only if the subject is not too depressing and the writing amazing; fantasy but preferably if the world is not too odd and there is compelling romance; historical but only if not too archaic; mystery and thriller but only if not too gory or scary. And I probably could be pushed beyond my comfort zone sometimes to read something worth reading.

Lately I’ve been finishing the Jack Reacher novels (just read Worth Dying For which was excellent). I’m contemplating rereading Watership Down or The Good Earth, both of which are good enough to own. I started rereading Lord of the Rings but can go back to finish that. As far as new tries, I remembered Kathy Keller being a fiction reader, found this helpful page, and now have on hold at the library Master and Commander, Storm Front, and Young Miles. We’ll see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment