Thursday, August 25, 2016

Eternity-Conscious Relating

“I have imagined what it will be like when Lisa comes face to face with God. The Bible guarantees this will actually happen. One day, my wife will stand before the Creator and Judge of all things. … Because I am crazy about Lisa, I want her to have a great life. But more than that, I want her to have a great eternity.” – Francis Chan, You And Me Forever

I’ve been meditating on the singular emphasis our culture places on sexual romantic love—as Tim Keller said, “there’s never been a culture in the history of the world that puts so much emphasis on and hope in sex”—and how I like to think I live on my own terms, but in reality, I’m a creature of my culture. How could we not be? And how can our fixation on sex and romance not bleed into our relationships? So in some teensy way, I think that a great marriage means we have to always be jumping into bed together. That our marriage is about what fulfills me, or makes me look good, or solves my problems. Because our idolization of the romantic other is really about writing our own self-worth or meeting our own needs.

Not that our needs aren’t met in a healthy marriage, but that’s not really what it’s about. I like how Francis Chan describes it: and when I picture Dave standing before God one day, what do I want for him? I want him to have no regrets about how he lived his life. I want him to be so accustomed to worship that to be finally in God’s presence is a joyful extension of his life. I want him to know his closest friends and family will be in heaven and to have the peace of knowing he did all he could to see that. I want him to have a great reward; to know that he served and suffered faithfully, that he rooted out sin in his life, that the path he walked was straight and true.

So the question I should be asking is: how do I help prepare him for that day? How do I present him in splendor, without spot or wrinkle, holy and without blemish [Eph 5:27]? I create an attitude of God-centered worship in our marriage so we can practice that together. I support his ministry and career calling; I help process visions, call out gifts. I identify, work through, and pray for areas of sin or growth. I join in praying and relating to his friends and bring healing and build bridges in his family. I help create margin so that he can enjoy personal time with God. I delight in him and show him God’s affection, delight, humor and joy.

And yes, sex is a way I do those things: have delight, affection, humor; deepen our bond; foreshadow reunion with God in eternity. It’s important, but certainly not everything, and not really anything like the me-centered consumeristic image-and-performance conscious sex we are blasted with culturally.

It would be interesting to ask: how does an eternity-conscious perspective of marriage affect how we date? It probably wouldn’t be finding the externally-perfect person who also happens to be a Christian. Or finding someone who meets every item on my checklist. Or finding someone who makes me feel good or look good. If I were talking to Ellie in twenty years, I’d probably ask, who helps you be sanctified? Pushes you to grow in Jesus? Who can you relate to so closely, easily, and have such delight in, that you see yourself helping in their sanctification over your lifetimes?

No comments:

Post a Comment