Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Journal Excerpt


The baby finally went for a nocturnal eight-hour stretch between feeds two nights ago. I am feeling like a new person while desperately hoping it wasn’t a fluke. Unfortunately, it feels like waking up in a post-apocalyptic world, like living in a trailer where obviously aliens have attacked the planet and all you see are flashes of decrepitude: grimy bathrooms and toilets. Small, conveniently choke-able toy parts scattered in every possible random space. Kitchen counters so cluttered there is no space to cut an apple. Food particles sealed into the vacuumed carpet. Any minute now a haggard-looking Brad Pitt or Will Smith will appear. I have to give credit to D that things are not worse, but there’s only so much housework the poor guy can do on top of running two health districts, three kids, and a surly, sleep-deprived wife for the past six weeks.

On the up-side, I made butternut squash soup today, which reminds me of my Boston days when my apartment-mate, who believed in eating colorful foods, first taught me the recipe. It made me think of medical school and community and retreats in New Hampshire in the fall. Sometimes it is staggering to me how much of ourselves we can lose as parents; how much what is still part of who I am I simply don’t access or experience. I really am still someone who likes to read, and paint, and play guitar at retreats, and shop, and bake fancy things, and go to exercise classes. But instead I am mostly someone who spent today wiping snot every five minutes and explaining for the fiftieth time why we have to SHARE. And who will apparently be doing the same thing tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment