Thursday, April 8, 2010

Journal Excerpt

I think she has figured out that there are things that go on while she is nursing, behind her back. The other day she flung her arm back while nursing and bumped it into my book, then madly started to grip and pull at all the pages, all the while sucking peacefully away. She was like one of those people with transected corpus collosums who button their shirt up with one hand while unbuttoning it with the other.

Usually when she flings her arm back she encounters Winnie, whose favorite pastime is wedging herself on my lap and against the baby’s back, and then the three of us rock back and forth. Winnie doesn’t seem to mind E’s hand occasionally poking at her. Those are one of my favorite times of the day, my petting the cat or holding a book in one hand while cradling her with the other, her falling asleep while I stare out at the dusk, the sound of D downstairs puttering around. If they say that God is in the small moments, this is certainly one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment