Tuesday, April 20, 2010

E, Master Flinger

She is just heart-breakingly gorgeous. Everybody thinks so.

She is also getting to be her own person. Her newest thing is flinging things with great abandon. She likes doing this best from her high chair. She’s a great believer in No Object Left Behind. Everything I see, goes! I don’t think she’s quite picked up on the concept yet that things end up somewhere; I try to point out where things are on the floor while talking about gravity, but she just looks at her empty tray like NEXT? We’ll have to work on the object permanence. That, and the sitting up without falling over.

She also hasn’t figured out how to chew. She acts like someone who does; she goes around tearing great big pieces of food off with her gums, but once she gets them in her mouth it becomes apparent she doesn’t really know what to do next. She just ends up holding things in her mouth, hoping I suppose that her saliva will magically dissolve it, before spitting it out in one big sodden chunk five minutes later.

Sometimes she’ll stop suddenly, in the middle of nursing or playing, and look intensely at my face with a look of great concentration, as if I’ve sprung a third eye on my forehead. As if maybe her real mother has been abducted by the aliens and she’s not so sure about this one. She nearly goes cross-eyed with concentration. It always makes me laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment