Monday, October 12, 2009

Journal Excerpt

I don’t think E and the cats are aware of each other’s existence yet. It’s quite comical, really. E wails herself into a round red beet and Chloe just lies there lazily licking her paws or dozing on her back with her privates displayed. I think Winnie sees her as an obstacle to her never-ending goal of lying on my lap whenever physically possible. She sort of walks up to me and gazes at E’s bum, as if trying to think of a way to wedge herself around it. I thought this would all be over once you stopped being pregnant, she’s probably thinking. She usually settles for plunking her front end on my lower lap and letting her back end dangle off.

E, from her end, seems to be unaware that she lives amongst these huge, moving furry white-and-black creatures. I tell her sometimes it is like she is in a zoo, look at the animals! To her they must look like bovine-colored mammoths. But she seems to sort of stare past them. They are mysteriously beyond her range of vision.

Today while we were nursing, Chloe was overcome with her desire for physical contact (that seems to be her only waking state, actually) and jumped onto the corner of the rocking chair we were sitting in. After turning her big self around a few times, she plunked down in the corner with her butt towards us, huge tail swishing back and forth right across the side of E’s head like a big black boa. The baby squirmed a few times and I laughed before kicking the cat off.

I keep thinking about the day she will suddenly notice they live with her. My mom says she will grow up thinking she looks like a cat.

No comments:

Post a Comment