Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Journal Excerpt

If I had to pick one word to describe her now, it would probably be exuberant. Motion. Exuberant, constant, motion. She does no thing half-way, leaves no pillow unclimbed, no paper unshredded, no plastic item unchewed or unlicked. If this brings to mind unstoppably activity, that’s about right. Today on the changing table she was yawning, then reached up and draped a forearm over both eyes while lying there, and I thought, me too, baby. It’s too bad she couldn’t be like, hey, you’re looking kind of tired today, why don’t you go read a novel in the bath and I’ll just busy myself quietly and safely here for a while . . .

I caught her feeding the cat today. She would lean over and drop a cheerio off the edge, then I’d hear a crunch-crunch. Pinch a cheerio, lean, over, drop it, crunch-crunch. She’s finally figured out how to get Chloe to come. There’s a life lesson: if you want something, offer a bribe.

No comments:

Post a Comment