Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Journal Excerpt

Sometimes I imagine what it would be like if she started talking. It would be totally unreal, like reading a book where the main character suddenly reveals he’s a werewolf and you’re like, oh yeah, this is science fiction. I can’t really even imagine what her voice would sound like. I look at the older kids who go around babbling and have a hard time believing she is of the same species. Clearly they are mutants, I tell her. Don't worry if you're not like them.

She is able to sit up by herself now, even wobble down to pick something up and then right herself again. What is striking about the whole thing is her perfectly proper posture, rim-rod straight back at a perfect ninety degrees from the ground, even while her hands move around. She could be doing yoga or balancing a cup of water on her head. One gets the sense that the slightest shift in her center of gravity, and she’d topple right over. I catch myself straightening my own chronically hunched back when she’s around.

No comments:

Post a Comment