Saturday, May 2, 2009

Names

“A good name is more desirable than great riches.” –Proverbs 22:1

In reading through Genesis, a major emerging theme has been the importance of names. I guess one could say from the beginning God named things into existence: light, night, firmament. The author bothers to tell us the names of each river out of Eden. God bothers to bring all the living creatures to Adam so they can each be named. Later we are told the particular names of people and places, names that reflect sorrow, joy, promise, worship. Noah for rest, Ishmael for God hears, Esau for hairy, Beer Lahai Roi for well of the One who lives and sees me. Some names made me laugh (Nimrod, Genesis 10:8).

Since finding out the gender, this naming business has become more real. During the first few weeks of pregnancy, I went through a host of names, becoming successively seized with and then tired of each. I had fun with odd names, trendy names, names of spices or countries. I toyed with foreign names, literary names, names of objects in nature. This was for the most part an entirely solo experience. Per D, “sounds too much like this-remotely-phonetically-similar word.” “Sounds weird.” “I knew a girl in third grade by that name who picked her nose.” End of discussion.

In the end, what’s become important is a name with meaning, a strong name. Reading Genesis makes me think of that. Something that speaks something over her life. I feel like maybe it’ll be like knowing about D: I might be up and down awhile at the start, but when it settles in and I know it, I’ll know it. At least I’m praying that will be the case.

Week Twenty-Four

1 comment:

  1. I entirely agree. I have always loved having a name that meant something (and something that lets me talk about God) that was also unusual. :) I know the meanings of each of my sisters' names, too.

    ReplyDelete